Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Rabbit and The Turtle

'Slow and steady wins the race' -The moral story of good ol' fashion competition
Do you remember hearing this story as a kid? This story has always stuck with me through the years. If you haven't heard it, I'll explain it, as best I can, in a few short sentences. I am making up names because I can't remember every detail from my early childhood.
Story line: On one sunny day, Roger The Rabbit was feeling boastful and decided to challenge his friend Terence The Turtle to a race. When Roger wanted to race with Terence, this one thought was playing on repeat in his head, 'I will win because Terence is slow and I am fast'. He was SO excited to race! When it was time to race their Friend, Frank the Fox, was the judge and he had no idea what was in store. 1,...2,...3...! And they're off! Roger is sprinting through the Forest with all his might and Terence is way behind him, going slow and steady. When Roger looks back during the race, Terence is not in sight. He figures that this is his chance to take a quick break before he crosses the finish line. A quick break turned into a smooth slumber..... Roger wakes up feeling refreshed and ready to finish the race, only to find Terence is waiting for him at the finish line! In that moment, Roger was surprised and Terence was happy he made it because he took his time and finished the race.
Well, that wasn't a few short sentences. I can't sell this story off of a short description because it's that GOOD. I love how The Rabbit feels like a winner from the start and The Turtle does not say, 'Hey, I may be slow, but I'm going to WIN, you wait and see'. Actions really do speak louder than words in this instance. The Turtle won because The Rabbit decided to take a nap. If you decide you didn't want to read the story or you already know it, know that you may be a sprinter or you may a steady jogger and that's where YOU are. You can decide which route you'll take and what is BEST for you.

Achy and tired, I write this at 6:30 am and it feels great because I'm an early riser. Anytime I get the chance to wake up in the dark to see the sunrise, it's exhausting to wake up, but the view is spectacular. No regrets. It stems from my childhood days when I woke up at 3 am for weekend swim meets. Oh yes, my parents raised me to LOVE the water and I do! I may have not liked racing in the lanes, but boy do I love to SWIM. On top of that, I was home schooled from day 1. It's funny because I initially wanted to learned because I saw my siblings studying and thought it was cool. Ya, I'm such a nerd! I asked my mom if I could start school. You know she was stoked when she heard that. I don't know how old I was when I said that, but I am so glad I did. As the baby of the family, I can truly say it's an honor and a struggle. I love the race, but I like to jump the gun and dive in. I encourage you to take your time through school or work, wherever you're at. I may not know you, but know this, God wants YOU and your learning style is probably different from mine and that's great. Let God take places because he wants to love you and achieve goals that you cannot fathom. 

Until next time, Rachel 






No comments:

Post a Comment